- The TYOU program is looking to expand our outreach to more students. Interested in having us get involved with your organization? Contact us at [email protected].
- We are now accepting applications for the 2024 Capital Summit. Student and mentor applications are due by February 16th, 2024. See links below for more information..
About Transportation YOU
Transportation YOU is an outreach and mentoring program through WTS that offers school-age girls and young women an introduction to a wide variety of transportation careers through school presentations, interactive activities, and mentorship opportunities.
Through the program, WTS chapters work to make a difference in the lives of these young women by sparking their interest in all modes of transportation and encouraging them to take courses in math, science, and technology – the stepping stones to exciting careers throughout the transportation industry.
We have the following goals:
The WTS-San Diego Chapter provides a hands-on, interactive mentoring program at various schools in the greater San Diego region. Through this mentorship program, WTS-San Diego will pair students with young professionals to provide one-on-one guidance and encouragement and prepare students for a meaningful career in transportation and STEM
Apply to the Transportation YOU Mentorship Program
The WTS TYOU mentorship program is open to young women in high school interested in mentorship in careers in transportation and STEM to apply to be a mentee. We are seeking mentors who are WTS members seeking to provide guidance to high school students. The student mentee and industry mentor application period is open year-round. Active participants will be eligible to attend the Capital Summit. Apply through the links below.
Transportation YOU Capital Summit
The Capital Summit is an opportunity for select Transportation YOU participants and mentors from across the country to gather in Washington, DC, to experience once-in-a-lifetime tours, meet-ups with White House administrators, and cool challenges and breakout sessions culminating in a spectacular networking reception.
Each year, up to three female high school students and a mentor are selected and sponsored by WTS-San Diego to attend this annual summit, typically held in June. Every Spring, students are selected from the TYOU mentoring program based on interest and availability. The 2023 application period is closed, stay tuned for the next opportunity!
Every annual Transportation YOU Capital Summit offers attendees chances to:
- Educate and empower girls about their opportunities in the transportation industry
- Link girls with role models through one-on-one mentorship programs
- Help girls build leadership skills and self-confidence
- Contribute to the diversity and creativity of our transportation workforce
- MEET Transportation professionals, College Students and Professors, Congressional Staffers, and Senior Administration Officials from the US Department of Transportation
- EXPLORE DC and visit destinations like the White House, US Capitol, and National Mall, and get behind-the-scenes tours of transportation hubs like local airports, the US DOT, and research centers
- EXPERIENCE engineering challenges, professional development programs, and networking events
- LEARN about college readiness, leadership development, and the diverse career opportunities that can be found in the transportation field