Scholarship applications for 2020 are in!
WTS-LA is a leader in supporting and mentoring the next generation of transportation professionals in Southern California. For more than three decades, we have awarded scholarships to deserving women entering the transportation field. In just the past 10 years, our chapter has awarded more than 100 scholarships worth nearly half a million dollars! Now, we want your help to do more.
Last year, the WTS Los Angeles Scholarship Committee distributed $100,000 in competitive academic scholarships to women in high school, community college, undergraduate, and graduate programs in transportation-related fields, including transportation engineering, planning, finance, or logistics.
Our annual scholarship program provides significant financial support to students seeking assistance to cover rising education costs. Help WTS-LA raise and award over $100,000 this year in scholarships for high school, undergraduate, and graduate students! We invite corporations of all sizes, public agencies, as well as individuals, to support our scholarship program. Find out more about sponsoring a scholarship here.
Donors will have opportunities to remain engaged with their scholarship winner following her selection over the summer throughout the remainder of the year. Your scholarship recipient and her guest will be seated with you at the annual banquet, or with your entire table, should the firm purchase a table.
SCHOLARSHIP CATEGORIES AND APPLICATIONS
The scholarships are competitive, and applications will be evaluated on the following criteria: transportation career goals, academic record including curriculum and grades, commitment to transportation as demonstrated by extracurricular activities and/or work experience, writing skills, and recommendations. The minimum selection criteria are as follows:
- Open to women only
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in a transportation-related field, such as transportation engineering, planning, finance or logistics, or in the field of environmental planning and science
- Plans to pursue a career in a transportation-related field or in environmental planning
- Enrolled in a school in Los Angeles County or have residency in Los Angeles County
- The community college scholarship is in the amount of $3,000.
- WTS-LA established the community college scholarship in 2018 to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field.
Ava Doner Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship
- The Ava Doner Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship is in the amount of $10,000. In addition, WTS LA will award a second scholarship in the amount of $7,500.
- The scholarship honors Ava Doner, who was a wonderful role model and mentor to many women in the transportation industry. She was a pioneer in business and helped establish organizations to encourage the growth and development of aspiring women entrepreneurs and found time to support them during her entire career.
Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship
- The Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship is in the amount of $10,000. In addition, WTS-LA will award a second graduate scholarship in the amount of $7,500.
- The scholarship is awarded to women pursuing graduate studies in transportation, planning, or a related field.
- This scholarship honors Myra L. Frank, who was instrumental in founding the WTS Los Angeles chapter and actively served as a WTS member for over 15 years. Mrs. Frank was dedicated to her role as a WTS mentor and supported WTS in all of its programs during her career.
For more information on the scholarship program, contact our scholarship committee at email@example.com.
Congratulations to the 2019 WTS-LA scholarship recipients!
WTS-LA Graduate Student Scholarships
- Maddy Ruvolo, UCLA, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship ($10,000)
- Cassie Halls, UCLA, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship ($7,500)
- Annaleigh Yahata Ekman, UCLA, WTS-LA Board of Directors Scholarship ($5,000)
WTS-LA Undergraduate Student Scholarships
- Katheryn Kornegay, Pomona College, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship ($10,000)
- Codi Weisz, USC, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship ($7,500)
Sponsored WTS-LA Scholarships
- Camille Maxwell, California Polytechnic State University, Pomona - Stantec Consulting Services ($5,000)
- Evonnie Estrada, California Polytechnic State University, Pomona - Jacobs ($5,000)
- Guadalupe Huerta, UCLA - Fehr & Peers ($5,000)
- Ma'ayan Dembo, UCLA - Fehr & Peers ($5,000)
- Christi Fu, UCLA - Arup/CM Solutions ($5,000)
- Julene Paul, UCLA - BYD ($5,000)
- Narina Artin, Glendale Community College - Berg & Associates ($3,000)
High School Scholarships
Five high school students received the following scholarships in 2019.
- WTS-LA Joan G. Wood Memorial Scholarship ($2,500)
- WTS-LA Marilyn J. Reece Memorial Scholarship ($2,500)
- PGH Wong Engineering Scholarship ($2,500)
- WSP Bright Futures Scholarship ($2,500)
- AECOM Scholarship ($2,500)
For more detailed information on the scholarship program, contact our scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.