WTS-LA Scholarship Program
WTS-LA is a leader in supporting and mentoring the next generation of transportation professionals in Southern California. For more than three decades, we have awarded scholarships to deserving women entering the transportation field. Over the past decade, our chapter has awarded over 100 scholarships worth over half a million dollars through the generosity of our members and donors.
In 2021, WTS-LA awarded $100,000 in competitive academic scholarships to women in high school, community college, undergraduate, and graduate programs in transportation-related fields. We hope to distribute $100,000 again in 2022!
We Are Accepting Applications for Scholarships!
Applications are due June 30, 2022!
The scholarships are competitive, and applications are evaluated on the following criteria: transportation career goals; academic record, including curriculum and grades; commitment to transportation, as demonstrated by extracurricular activities and/or work experience; writing skills; and recommendations. Please see the scholarship fact sheet for more information.
The minimum selection criteria are as follows:
- Open to women and non-binary people
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, or graduate degree program in a transportation-related field, such as transportation engineering, planning, finance or logistics, or in the field of environmental planning and science
- Plans to pursue a career or graduate degree in a transportation-related field or in environmental planning
- Enrolled in a school in Los Angeles County or have residency in Los Angeles County
WTS-LA established the community college scholarship to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field.
The Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship was established in 2000 by the Los Angeles Chapter of WTS to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field. The scholarship honors Ava Doner, who was a wonderful role model and mentor to many women in the transportation industry. She was a pioneer in business and helped establish organizations to encourage the growth and development of aspiring women entrepreneurs and found time to support them during her entire career.
The Myra L. Frank Memorial Graduate Scholarship was established in 2005 by the Los Angeles Chapter of WTS to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation. The scholarship is awarded to women pursuing graduate studies in transportation, planning or a related field. This scholarship honors Myra L. Frank, who was instrumental in the founding of the WTS/Los Angeles chapter and actively served as a WTS member for over 15 years. Mrs. Frank was dedicated to her role as a WTS mentor and supported WTS in all of its programs during her career.
For more detailed information on the scholarship program, contact our scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opportunities to Sponsor Scholarships
Aside from providing significant financial support to students seeking assistance to cover rising education costs, sponsoring scholarships provide several benefits for donors. Donors will be invited to attend special WTS events, receive special acknowledgements, and have the opportunity to participate in the selection of their scholarship recipient. Donors will also have opportunities to remain engaged with their scholarship recipient following her selection. Find out more about sponsoring a scholarship here.
We invite corporations of all sizes, public agencies, and individuals to support our scholarship program.
Congratulations to Our 2021 Scholarship Recipients!
- Aisling O'Reilly, USC, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship ($10,000)
- Fariba Siddiq, UCLA, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship ($8,000)
- Madeline Wander, UCLA, WTS-LA Board Director's Scholarship ($5,000)
- Zhaoyang Li, USC, BYD: Build Your Dreams Scholarship ($5,000)
- Kimberly Venegas, UCLA, California Transportation Fund (CTF) Scholarship ($5,000)
- Nataly Rios, UCLA, Stantec Equity in Transportation Scholarship ($5,000)
- Elena Vindrola, USC, Zephyr Rail Scholarship ($5,000)
- Alejandra Gutierrez, UCLA, WTS-LA & Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) Equity in Transportation Scholarship ($4,500)
- Emily On, USC, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship ($10,000)
- Jessica Brown, USC, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship ($8,000)
- Jessica Morales, California State University Long Beach, HNTB Scholarship ($5,000)
- Christine Stavish, USC, Jacobs Scholarship ($5,000)
- Frida Hernandez, Cerritos Community College, WTS-LA and Mott MacDonald Community College Scholarship ($4,500)
Eight high school students received $2,500 scholarships in 2021. Two scholarships are from WTS-LA, and six are sponsored.
- WTS-LA Joan G. Wood Memorial Scholarship
- WTS-LA Marilyn J. Reece Memorial Scholarship
- AECOM Richard E. Newman Scholarship
- Arcadis Scholarship
- Berg & Associates Scholarship
- Parsons Step Forward Scholarship
- PGH Wong Engineering Scholarship
- WSP Bright Futures Scholarship