WTS-LA Scholarship Program
WTS-LA is a leader in supporting and mentoring the next generation of transportation professionals in Southern California. For more than three decades, we have awarded scholarships to deserving women entering the transportation field. Over the past decade, our chapter has awarded over 100 scholarships worth over half a million dollars through the generosity of our members and donors.
In 2022, WTS-LA awarded $105,000 in competitive academic scholarships to women in high school, community college, undergraduate, and graduate programs in transportation-related fields.
Opportunities to Sponsor Scholarships
Aside from providing significant financial support to students seeking assistance to cover rising education costs, sponsoring scholarships provide several benefits for donors. Donors will be invited to attend special WTS events, receive special acknowledgements, and have the opportunity to participate in the selection of their scholarship recipient. Donors will also have opportunities to remain engaged with their scholarship recipient following her selection. Find out more about sponsoring a scholarship here.
We invite corporations of all sizes, public agencies, and individuals to support our scholarship program.
For Scholarship Sponsors/Donors DONATE NOW
Congratulations to Our 2022 Scholarship Recipients!
- Lucie Wu, UCLA, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship
- Greer Cowan, UCLA, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship
- Patricia Soto, California State University San Jose, WTS-LA Board of Directors Emeritus Professor James E. Moore Scholarship
- Adria Stauber, UCLA, BYD Build Your Dreams Scholarship
- Laura Correa-Garzon, USC, Jacobs Graduate Scholarship
- Anne Denecke, USC, Zephyr Rail Graduate Scholarship
- Shaellen Franco, UCLA, WTS-LA & Psomas Graduate Scholarship
- Yasmina Yusef, UCLA, WTS-LA & Mott MacDonald Graduate Scholarship
- Katrina Deloso, UCLA, WTS-LA & Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) Equity in Transportation Scholarship
- Sophia Balkovski, UCLA, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship
- Sierra Smith, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship
- Chioma Okonkwo, USC, HNTB Undergraduate Scholarship
- Jennifer Nuanes, Citrus Community College, WTS-LA and Access Services Community College Scholarship
Seven high school students received scholarships in 2022. Two scholarships were from WTS-LA, and five were sponsored.
- WTS-LA Joan G. Wood Memorial Scholarship
- WTS-LA Marilyn J. Reece Memorial Scholarship
- AECOM Richard E. Newman Scholarship
- Arcadis Scholarship
- Berg & Associates Scholarship
- PGH Wong Engineering Scholarship
- WSP Bright Futures Scholarship
The scholarships are competitive, and applications are evaluated on the following criteria: transportation career goals; academic record, including curriculum and grades; commitment to transportation, as demonstrated by extracurricular activities and/or work experience; writing skills; and recommendations.
We offer scholarships for high school, community college, and undergraduate and graduate university students. Please see the scholarship fact sheet for more information. The next call for applications will start in spring 2023.
The minimum selection criteria are as follows:
- Open to women and non-binary people
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, or graduate degree program in a transportation-related field, such as transportation engineering, planning, finance or logistics, or in the field of environmental planning and science
- Plans to pursue a career or graduate degree in a transportation-related field or in environmental planning
- Enrolled in a school in Los Angeles County or have residency in Los Angeles County
Community College / Trade School Scholarship
WTS-LA established the community college scholarship to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field.
Undergraduate - Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship
The Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship was established in 2000 by the Los Angeles Chapter of WTS to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field. The scholarship honors Ava Doner, who was a wonderful role model and mentor to many women in the transportation industry. She was a pioneer in business and helped establish organizations to encourage the growth and development of aspiring women entrepreneurs and found time to support them during her entire career.
Graduate - Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship
The Myra L. Frank Memorial Graduate Scholarship was established in 2005 by the Los Angeles Chapter of WTS to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation. The scholarship is awarded to women pursuing graduate studies in transportation, planning or a related field. This scholarship honors Myra L. Frank, who was instrumental in the founding of the WTS/Los Angeles chapter and actively served as a WTS member for over 15 years. Mrs. Frank was dedicated to her role as a WTS mentor and supported WTS in all of its programs during her career.
For more detailed information on the scholarship program, contact our scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.