WTS-LA Scholarship Program
WTS-LA is a leader in supporting and mentoring the next generation of transportation professionals in Southern California. For more than three decades, we have awarded scholarships to deserving women entering the transportation field. Over the past decade, our chapter has awarded over 100 scholarships worth over half a million dollars through the generosity of our members and donors.
Last year, WTS-LA awarded over $100,000 in competitive academic scholarships to women in high school, community college, undergraduate, and graduate programs in transportation-related fields. Our goal is to raise $100,000 in 2021 as a testament to our continued efforts in advancing women in the transportation industry.
Opportunities to Sponsor Scholarships
Aside from providing significant financial support to students seeking assistance to cover rising education costs, sponsoring scholarships provide several benefits for donors. Donors will be invited to attend special WTS events, receive special acknowledgements, and have the opportunity to participate in the selection of their scholarship recipient. Donors will also have opportunities to remain engaged with their scholarship recipient following her selection. Find out more about sponsoring a scholarship here.
We invite corporations of all sizes, public agencies, and individuals to support our scholarship program.
Look Out for Our Next Call for Applications in Spring 2022!
The scholarships are competitive, and applications are evaluated on the following criteria: transportation career goals; academic record, including curriculum and grades; commitment to transportation, as demonstrated by extracurricular activities and/or work experience; writing skills; and recommendations. Please see the scholarship fact sheet for more information. Applications are closed for 2021.
The minimum selection criteria are as follows:
- Open to women and non-binary people
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, or graduate degree program in a transportation-related field, such as transportation engineering, planning, finance or logistics, or in the field of environmental planning and science
- Plans to pursue a career or graduate degree in a transportation-related field or in environmental planning
- Enrolled in a school in Los Angeles County or have residency in Los Angeles County
Community College / Trade School Scholarship
WTS-LA established the community college scholarship to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field.
Undergraduate - Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship
The Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship was established in 2000 by the Los Angeles Chapter of WTS to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation or a related field. The scholarship honors Ava Doner, who was a wonderful role model and mentor to many women in the transportation industry. She was a pioneer in business and helped establish organizations to encourage the growth and development of aspiring women entrepreneurs and found time to support them during her entire career.
Graduate - Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship
The Myra L. Frank Memorial Graduate Scholarship was established in 2005 by the Los Angeles Chapter of WTS to encourage women to pursue career paths in transportation. The scholarship is awarded to women pursuing graduate studies in transportation, planning or a related field. This scholarship honors Myra L. Frank, who was instrumental in the founding of the WTS/Los Angeles chapter and actively served as a WTS member for over 15 years. Mrs. Frank was dedicated to her role as a WTS mentor and supported WTS in all of its programs during her career.
For more detailed information on the scholarship program, contact our scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get to Know Our 2020 Scholarship Recipients!
WTS-LA Graduate Student Scholarships
- Lilly Nie, USC, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship ($10,000)
- Shelly Quan, UCLA, Myra L. Frank Memorial Scholarship ($8,000)
- Demi Espinoza, Antioch University, Back to School Scholarship ($6,000)
- Samikchhya Bhusal, UCLA, WTS-LA Board of Directors Scholarship in Memory of Sharon Yates ($5,000)
WTS-LA Undergraduate Student Scholarships
- Allison Fischer, USC, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship ($10,000)
- Elise Adreon, USC, Ava Doner Memorial Scholarship ($8,000)
- Rebecca Swint, California State University, Northridge, Back to School Scholarship ($6,000)
- Marena William, USC, BYD: Build Your Dreams Graduate Scholarship ($5,000)
- Jessica Brown, USC, Environmental Science Associates Undergraduate Scholarship ($5,000)
- Yerandy Pacheco, USC, Jacobs Undergraduate Scholarship ($5,000)
- Roxan Rivas, California State University, Northridge, Stantec Graduate Scholarship ($5,000)
- Shantal Bustamante, Glendale Community College, WTS-LA and SCAG Community College Scholarship ($4,500)
- Annamaria Viazzo, Glendale Community College, HNTB Community College Scholarship ($4,500)
High School Scholarships
Eight high school students will receive $2,500 scholarships in 2020. Two scholarships are from WTS-LA, and six are sponsored. For more on the 2020 high school scholarships, see here.
- WTS-LA Joan G. Wood Memorial Scholarship
- WTS-LA Marilyn J. Reece Memorial Scholarship
- AECOM Scholarship
- Berg & Associates Scholarship
- Hill International Scholarship
- Mott MacDonald Scholarship
- PGH Wong Engineering Scholarship
- WSP Bright Futures Scholarship