What is Transportation YOU Program?
Transportation YOU is a hands-on, interactive, free mentoring program that offers young women ages 13-18 an introduction to a wide variety of transportation careers. Through the program, WTS chapters work to make a difference in the lives of young girls by offering programs and activities that will spark their interest in all modes of transportation and encourage them to take courses in math, science, and technology, which are the stepping stones to exciting careers that can change the face of the transportation industry.
Our program is led by over thirty women professionals (engineers, planners, marketing, and finance professionals) who volunteer their time as mentors*. Throughout the program year, both mentors and mentees have the opportunity to explore what makes the transportation industry so important and learn about how it impacts their every lives.
What are the goals and benefits of Transportation YOU?
- Educate and empower young women regarding opportunities in the transportation industry
- Connect mentees with role models through mentorship programs with professional women
- Provide internships and career development opportunities
- Help mentees build leadership skills and self-confidence
- Make STEM education more accessible through scholarship opportunities
- Build awareness of transportation as an exciting and rewarding career option
- Contribute to the diversity and creativity of our transportation workforce
- Create network of professionals in the public and private transportation industries
Anticipated 2022 Program Schedule
- January: 1/22/22, Ports Project Tour
- April: 4/2/22, Schuylkill River Bike Tour/Planning Activity
- June: 6/11/22, End of Year Celebration
Events run from 10AM - 2PM in the Philadelphia region. Program Schedule subject to change, updates to be provided via email.
*Note that all of our mentors have undergone the background checks required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.