Transportation is a thriving and comprehensive industry. It incorporates all forms of human modality—heavy and light rail, aviation, automotive, human-powered means—and draws on the knowledge and skill sets from various fields and educational backgrounds. The evolution of innovative transportation requires minds trained in:
architecture, engineering (all disciplines), mathematics, geography, political science, policy, economics, finance, planning, environmental science, communications, and more.
Despite the broad range of educational backgrounds that can lead to a career in transportation, women continue to be under-represented in transportation-related occupations as identified by various studies.
The WTS Toronto Area Chapter aims to further the development of the transportation industry through gender diversification within the local workforce. In an effort to promote gender diversity and attract young talent, a scholarship has been established by the WTS Toronto Chapter.
HOW THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM WORKS
Scholarships are open to any students who meet the following criteria:
- Are registered full-time at a post-secondary institution in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and the Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph area in 2022.
- Are pursuing a degree which will lead to a career focused on transportation.
- Have a demonstrable interest in promoting the advancement of gender diversity within the transportation industry.
We are also offering additional scholarships:
- Two Indigenous Scholarships for post-secondary school students who identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit). Indigenous Scholarships are open nationally to any full-time student registered in a Canadian post-secondary institution.
- A Focused Scholarship related to a specific industry focus area with relevance to the transportation industry.
Click here for more information about the eligibility.
To submit your application, or if you have questions or need additional information, please contact Scholarship Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship recipients will be selected and notified in late October and presented with the award at the WTS annual event. WTS is now offering free memberships to students who are pursuing a degree that will lead them to a career in transportation to facilitate their introduction to the industry and provide an opportunity to begin building their professional network.
“The WTS scholarship helped me so much by giving me a glimpse into what my future career could look like. Through connecting me with an amazing group of women I felt supported in a way I hadn’t ever before in my professional life. It’s as if there’s an entire village of women transportation professionals cheering me on now!”
- Emma Swarney (2020)
“Being awarded a 2020 WTS Scholarship gave me the chance to network and be part of an amazing community of women!”
- Joanna Ilunga-Kapinga (2020)
“The scholarship not only provided me with plenty of opportunities only participate in professionally enriching events and learn from industry leaders, but also enabled me to be a part of a community whose members are passionate about advancing the transportation industry. I am very grateful for the mentorship, professional development, and networking opportunities that the WTS Toronto Chapter has given me over the last year.”
- Felita Ong (2020)