The leadership, skills, and perspectives of women are essential to ensure that the transportation systems of the future respond to the needs of all. In keeping with the changes made in 2019, our selection criteria are more explicitly focused on women interested in achieving equity within communities and the transportation sector. The application questions better recognize the leadership potential associated with lived experiences and non-traditional leadership paths.
The WTS Portland chapter offers seven annual scholarships to high school seniors, junior college, undergraduate, and graduate students to support women seeking leadership opportunities and pursuing transportation careers:
- Transportation YOU Scholarship High School Girls - $2,500
- Junior College/Trade School Scholarship - $2,500
- Sharon D. Banks Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship - $5,000
- Helene M. Overly Memorial Graduate Scholarship - $5,000
- Molitoris Leadership Undergraduate Scholarship - $5,000
- Jannet Walker-Ford Leadership Legacy Scholarship Graduate Scholarship - $5,000
- Gail Achterman Leadership Scholarship Graduates & Undergraduates - $6,000
If eligible, WTS Portland Scholarship winners may be selected to compete for an additional national scholarship from the WTS Foundation. These scholarships are awarded in the Spring, and the funds will be available in the Fall.
In general, these merit-based scholarships are not applied to past semesters. WTS Foundation scholarships are intended to aid students who are continuing in their education, not to those who are finishing up. Scholarships awarded to high school students are intended to fund their college education.
Scholarship instructions and applications are available here: