The Charlotte Metro Chapter of Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS) is committed to encouraging and investing in young women who will someday become our future leaders in transportation. Each year the Charlotte Metro Chapter of WTS solicits applications for the following WTS Foundation National Scholarships:
- Helene M. Overly Memorial Scholarship Application (graduate) - $10,000
- WTS Leadership Legacy Scholarship Application (graduate) - $5,000
- Sharon D. Banks Memorial Scholarship Application (undergraduate) - $5,000
- Molitoris Leadership Scholarship Application (undergraduate) - $5,000
- Transportation YOU High School Scholarship Application, (high school senior) - $2,500
- Trade School/Jr. College Scholarship Application, (certificate or Associates’ degree) - $2,500
The Charlotte Metro Chapter offers a local $2,000 scholarship, the Mary N. Clayton Honorary Scholarship, which is selected from the National Scholarship applications at the collegiate and graduate levels. We also provide an additional $750 local scholarship for high school seniors. Our Chapter extends the Local and National Scholarship opportunities listed above to to the greater Charlotte area, the Triad, and central North Carolina. Women local to eastern North Carolina and the Triangle metro area are encouraged to apply through the WTS NC Triangle Chapter and women in South Carolina are encouraged to apply through the WTS SC Chapter. We have received applications in the past from UNC-Charlotte, Clemson, and USC.
General Requirements for scholarships are as follows:
- Open to women with a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Enrolled in a transportation-related degree program (Not applicable for High School students);
- Plans to pursue a career in a transportation-related field.
The scholarships are competitive and based on the applicant's specific transportation goals, academic record and transportation-related activities or job skills. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications for all WTS scholarships (national or local) must be submitted to the WTS Charlotte Metro Chapter Scholarship Chair by December 28, 2022.
Please submit applications via email. Completed applications should be submitted to:
Michelle Nance, AICP
WTS Charlotte Metro Chapter Scholarship Chair