Letter from the Chair
Dear WTS Community,
As we close Women’s History Month, I want to recognize and celebrate the tremendous contributions of current and past WTS Members to the transportation industry. I am privileged and honored to be a part of the WTS network of over 8,500 members as we celebrate female pioneers who have and continue to be role models, champions, mentors and leaders in transportation.
We’ve had a busy Women’s History Month at WTS by celebrating the amazing women of our organization as well as the partnerships we have formed with our Corporate and Industry Partners. We’ve also initiated some tools to continue the recognition of the individuals who make WTS in a variety of ways:
- I encourage you to search the Quiet Champions hashtag (#QuietChampions) on your social media networks as chapters highlight chapter leaders and members that may be quiet champions but are making lasting marks in their chapters and communities. We have dedicated and passionate members at WTS, and we value the opportunity in seeing them recognized.
- Visit the Open Forum on MyWTS Communities and add to the conversation where members are sharing why they joined or why they are members of WTS. If you need some inspiration or a reminder on the power of the WTS network, take a few minutes to read through these moving stories.
- We’ve strengthened our relationships and mission alignment with our Industry partners through several co-hosted events this month:
- AASHTO Environmental Center of Excellence Podcast Women’s History Month Focus
- APTA Perspectives Webinar Panel – Women in Leadership
- TRB Standing Committee on Women and Gender in Transportation: Where are the Women?
- APTA Passenger Transport Article : Honoring our past and seizing opportunities today.
- WTS’s key event with our Corporate Partners; WTS Online Learning Series Webinar: Meeting the Challenge. Speakers from WTS Corporate Partners HNTB, AECOM, HDR, Jacobs, WSP, and Bentley Systems discussed the ways companies are working to meet the challenge of creating gender equity and supporting women in their careers and creating work cultures that are inclusive and recognize the balance our colleagues need in their work and life. Members can listen to the recording at any time on the WTS website.
As we wrap up March, and our month-long celebration of the work of women, I encourage you to continue building your networks, knowledge, and engagement in the industry by attending the WTS Annual Conference, being held virtually from Richmond, Virginia May 10-14th. Although we look forward to a time when we can connect in person again, for the safety of our members and team, we are holding our Conference virtually this year. We have invested in making this conference engaging with a continued focused on the opportunity to network and connect. Our welcome reception will feature multiple engaging events including a trivia room, dueling piano broadcast, women in wine interactive class, and building your own charcuterie board. Our Mix ‘N Mingle will allows participants to virtually network with peers at tables with structured rotation to ensure meaningful engagement. In addition, this year, we have expanded our conference to a full week to ensure that you can take advantage of more sessions, activities, and networking. Come connect with the WTS members and transportation leaders you’ve been missing over the past year!
During our conference Business Meeting we’ll also be announcing the adoption of our 2021-2025 One WTS Strategic Plan. We’re wrapping up our engagement and feedback time-period here this month and will be posting trends and recurring topics on our WTS Strategic Plan website.
As we move into April we’ll be celebrating mentorship. Stay connected with WTS on our social media, MyWTS Communities and through our website for advice from our Board members on mentorship, coaching, and sponsorship. And join us on April 22nd for a webinar: “Upping your Mentoring game: Moving from Mentorship to Sponsorship,” hosted by WTS Strategic Sponsor: HNTB
As we make our way through vaccines and the efforts to recover from the effects of the pandemic, I wish you all safety and health, and that you continue to be inspired by the network of WTS.