What is WTS Philadelphia's Transportation YOU Program?
Transportation YOU is a hands-on, interactive, mentoring program that offers young women ages 13-18 an introduction to a wide variety of transportation careers. Through the program, WTS chapters work to make a difference in the lives of young girls by offering programs and activities that will spark their interest in all modes of transportation and encourage them to take courses in math, science, and technology, which are the stepping stones to exciting careers that can change the face of the transportation industry.
This is WTS Philadelphia's ninth year hosting the Transportation YOU program! Throughout the program year, both mentors and mentees have the opportunity to explore what makes the transportation industry so important and learn about how it impacts their every lives. Events are typically scheduled on Saturdays from 10:00am to 2:00pm, once every other month from September through June. Participants are encouraged to attend all of the events to get the full benefit of the overall program. We understand that scheduling conflicts sometimes arise, so we ask that parents and mentees please carefully the review the proposed event schedule prior to committing to the program. Parents/guardians are always welcome, but not required, to attend the events. All participants are required to register for the Transportation YOU program and each event for an accurate headcount. Events are typically hosted in Philadelphia. However, occasionally there are unique opportunities outside of the City limits in which our group will participate. Each year's program is different, so we encourage mentees to return for multiple years while they are eligible! Also, the program is completely FREE and lunch is provided at each event!
Our program is led by over thirty women professionals (engineers, planners, marketing, and finance professionals) who volunteer their time as mentors. Note that all of our mentors have undergone the background checks required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Apply to WTS Philadelphia Transportation YOU 2019-2020 Program Year
We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis until November 15, 2019. The first event will be held on September 28, 2019, but we will be accepting applications up until the 2nd event.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.transportationyou.org/
When will events be held this year?
Our tentative schedule of events for this program year is as follows, with all events being held on a Saturday from approximately 10:00am to 2:00pm
- September 28, 2019 - Kickoff Event / Green Streets
- November 23, 2019 - How Philadelphia Moves
- January 11, 2020 - Red Light, Green Light and How Traffic Works
- March 14, 2020 - Emergency Management in Philadelphia
- May 2, 2020 - College Fair and Opportunities Expo
- June 13, 2020- End of Year Celebration
What are the goals and benefits of Transportation YOU?
- Educate and empower young women regarding opportunities in the transportation industry
- Connect mentees with role models through mentorship programs with professional women
- Provide internships and career development opportunities
- Help mentees build leadership skills and self-confidence
- Make STEM education more accessible through scholarship opportunities
- Build awareness of transportation as an exciting and rewarding career option
- Contribute to the diversity and creativity of our transportation workforce
- Create network of professionals in the public and private transportation industries
How do I contact Transportation YOU?
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can visit our social media sites: